Saturday, June 6, 2009

You are so pretty! Interview about Emergency Hand Puppet!


Emergency Hand Puppet is a solo noise project from Greg F. former member of Fear of Dolls. Emergency Hand Puppet is noise that projects chaos along side the torture and destruction of vinyl records. The noise genre is considered avant-garde sound art with complete indeterminacy. Emergency Hand Puppet has been described as aural graffiti or amplified voices in your head. Air Raid was fortunate enough to acquire a brief yet very entertaining interview with Greg of Emergency Hand Puppet.

Where did you get your name from?
I got it from the side of some emergency rescue vehicle. Or maybe it was a fire truck? One of these types of vehicles has the words Emergency Hand Pump. Since my mind twists everything I see, I imagined it said Puppet.

How long have you been with EHP?
EHP has been ‘happening’ for about a year now. I’ve almost kicked myself out but decided against it, for now.

Give a brief history of EHP.
After playing guitar in my own and other people’s rock bands, I decided it was time to make a pure noise record. I’ve always had an inclination to include samples of old vinyl records on the CDs I’ve been part of in the past, (Fear of Dolls.) So I decided I would make something that involved mostly noise that included vinyl record samples and not much actual ‘music’. Manipulating records has so many possibilities. There are so many ways to affect the sound- playing at different speeds while damaging the vinyl with paint, sandpaper or razor blades. I enjoy making them skip, not to mention it has been fun and interesting finding unusual records to start with. I have found strange instructional recordings, speeches, odd children’s records and personal recordings of weddings from the 1940’s, for example.

What do you think is your fan demographic?
Invisible friends age 6-45.

What are your Future goals with EHP?
I’ll be working on another CD eventually, which will include a cover version of the Beatles’ “Revolution #9”.

What has been your biggest influence in creating EHP?
Nurse With Wound, John Lennon/Yoko Ono, Christian Marclay, but mostly just the sounds themselves. The sounds of a turntable needle touching a vinyl record skipping and scraping. It’s not so much musical but there is something in the sounds I create that I’m trying to bring out or express.

What message are you trying to convey with your project?
See above.

Anything else you would like to add?
Nope.


There are no upcoming performances planned for Emergency Hand Puppet at this time but here are some URLs that contain future event information you can browse. Also, I have posted a live performance video for your viewing enjoyment!

http://www.myspace.com/emergencyhandpuppet -you can purchase the latest Emergency Hand Puppet CD on his myspace page link above.

www.emergencyhandpuppet.com - official web site for news and event calendar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2D69-LoemQ – live performance video

No comments:

Post a Comment